Name: Jennifer N. Hahn
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 2011
- Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry, First class honors, Faculty of Science, University of Calgary, 2003
Research interests or projects:
- Research experience includes cell signal transduction, transgenic mouse models of disease, inflammation, autoimmunity, and tumorigenesis.
- Interested in how inflammatory mediators can influence tumorigenesis and other disease processes such as multiple sclerosis.
- In my PhD I investigated the role of inflammation in the development of gastro-duodenal polyps (premalignant lesions)
- I am currently investigating the role of EMMPRIN (a matrix metalloproteinase inducer) in monocytes and macrophages; and its involvement in neuroinflammation and neuropathology in multiple sclerosis. These results should guide whether anti-EMMPRIN therapy is a reasonable strategy for translation into MS therapeutics.
- Wheatley, R.W., Kappelhoff, J.C., Hahn, J.N., Dugdale, M.L., Dutkoski, M.J., Tamman, S.D., Fraser, M.E., and Huber, R.E. Substitution for Asn460 cripples b-galactosidase (Escherichia coli) by increasing substrate affinity and decreasing transition state stability. Arch Biochem Biophys. (2012) 521(1-2): 51-61.
- Hahn, J.N., Falck, V.G., and Jirik, F.R. Smad4 deficiency in T cells leads to the Th17-associated development of premalignant gastroduodenal lesions in mice. The Journal of Clinical Investigation (2011) 121(10):4030-4042.
- Sandercock, L.E., Hahn, J.N., Li, Li., Luchman, H., Giesbrecht, J.L., Peterson, L., and Jirik, F.R. Mgmt deficiency alters the in vivo mutational spectrum of tissues exposed to the tobacco carcinogen 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK). Carcinogenesis (2008) 29(4): 866-874.
- Tsutsui, S., Hahn, J.N., Johnson, T.A., Ali, Z., and Jirik, F.R. Lack of the cellular prion protein exacerbates and prolongs neuroinflammation in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE). American Journal of Pathology (2008) 173(4):1029-1041.
- Enjoy playing on a coed indoor soccer team
- Enjoy the outdoors